Company Description: North Adams, Massachusetts, offers an unparalleled combination of natural beauty and outdoor recreation, world class art and culture, and the entrepreneurial and innovation spirit to make the most of these resources and amenities. The City of North Adams is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to providing effective, efficient, and responsive public services to residents and visitors alike.
$14.37 Per Hour
High School or Equivalent
The dispatcher staffs the main telephone line for the North Adams Police Department (NAPD). Key responsibilities including receiving and responding to all incoming 911 and non-emergency telephone and radio calls for the city police and fire departments, as well as for Northern Berkshire EMS; also responds to in-person requests from the general public.
• Receives incoming calls and radio transmission and dispatches appropriate units or agencies to the scene of service requests.
• Serves as first point of contact for members of the public having business with the NAPD.
• Monitors alarm, recording, and computer systems and coordinates response with the shift supervisor.
• Logs all calls, dispatches, and requests.
• Monitors prisoner and individuals under protective custody.
• Provides office support including record access and maintenance, report and data management, and other duties as assigned.
The dispatcher must have the ability to:
• operate all E-911, telephone and radio equipment and computers;
• communicate clearly and concisely, in person and in writing, with supervisors, colleagues, and the community at large in a courteous, diplomatic and effective manner;
• demonstrate accuracy in recording times, narratives and other information;
• make sound judgments at times under stressful conditions;
• understand and comply with pertinent laws and local ordinances; and
• adhere to a strict code of confidentiality at all times.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• High school diploma with at least three years prior, relevant work experience, preferably in a municipal setting; associate’s degree preferred.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Strong accounting and computation skills.
• Experience with customer service and collaboration in person, over the telephone, and through electronic communications.
• Knowledge of office procedures and experience with productivity tools including Microsoft Word, Excel; ability to use law enforcement software including LEAPS/NCIC strongly preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to operate a keyboard at efficient speed. Occasionally may need to move objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
Vision and hearing at or correctable to normal ranges. Work is generally performed under typical office conditions, with regular exposure to the public.
Work is conducted in a high-stress environment on a regular basis.