Company Description: The mission of the North Adams Public Schools is to provide all students with the values, knowledge, and skills needed to reach their full potential, with the ultimate goal of becoming lifelong learners and productive members of the 21st Century.
As a district, we are committed to providing a safe environment in which all individuals embrace the core values of diversity, inclusiveness, shared community responsibility, breadth of learning, and continuous growth and improvement.
2nd Shift Custodian
High School or Equivalent
Driver’s license. - Preference: Required
Job Goal: To provide students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, play and develop.
Supervision: Reports to Director of Facilities.
1. Keeps building and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas neat and clean
at all times.
2. Shovels and/or sands walks, driveways, parking areas, and steps, as appropriate.
3. Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly
during the hours of building occupancy.
4. Raises and lowers the United States flag at appropriate times.
5. Sweeps classrooms daily and dusts furniture, chalkboards, etc.
6. Polishes furniture and metal work.
7. Vacuums rugs.
8. Cleans corridors after school each day and during the day when their condition requires it.
9. Scrubs, washes down, and disinfects toilet floors daily, and cleans all sanitary fixtures and
drinking fountains daily.
10. Washes all woodwork, walls, and windows on both the inside and outside.
11. Keeps the grounds free of rubbish and debris.
12. Sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes, polishes, and vacuums floors.
13. Cleans chalkboards.
14. Performs or assists on odd jobs and minor repairs to structures and equipment.
15. Reports major repairs needed promptly to the principal.
16. Reports immediately to the principal any damage to school property.
17. Remains on the school premises during school hours, and during non-school hours when the
use of the building has been authorized and his/her attendance required by the principal.
18. Assumes responsibility for the opening and closing of the building each school day and for
determining, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, and all lights, except
those left on for safety or other reasons, are turned off.
19. Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep and repair, including a
summer cleaning program.
20. Moves furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as
directed by the principal.
21. Complies with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and
22. Substitutes or assists in other buildings as directed by the principal or superintendent.
23. Assumes responsibility for the general security of the buildings.
24. Assists kitchen employees with heavy work.
25. Runs errands.
26. Performs other duties as assigned by Administration.
The Committee's policy of nondiscrimination will extend to students, staff, the general public, and individuals with whom it does business; No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school of any town or in obtaining the advantages, privileges, and courses of study of such public school on account of age, race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or homelessness.
Required: Demonstrated aptitude for successful fulfillment of assigned performance responsibilities. Driver’s license.
Preferred: High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent. Prior experience as a school custodian or the equivalent.
Physical Requirements: The position requires the delivery of a full range of custodial services to the public. Several hours a day will be spent walking, standing, sitting, and climbing whenever necessary. Activities include frequent physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending, and twisting. This position also requires frequent pulling and pushing of materials. There is frequent use of hand and power tools. Occasionally, crawling may be necessary. The position requires lifting of objects of 50 pounds on a frequent basis and over 50 pounds occasionally.
Environmental Conditions: The occupant is required frequently to work outdoors, occasionally in extreme weather conditions such as rain, snow, and hot/cold extremes. He/she is also exposed to gasoline and/or diesel fumes, cleaning chemicals, and high noise levels.