The Nursing Home Transition Specialist will identify and assist people with disabilities move from institutions to community based settings. The position involves extensive contact with nursing home professionals, consumers, family members, and other human service providers. In addition, the Specialist will provide counseling, skills training, and information & referral services.
1. Works with nursing homes, family members, and other providers to identify individuals who wish to transition to an independent living setting. Assesses whether the consumer is ready to move to an independent living setting.
2. Assists consumers successfully transition from institutional settings to the community. This will involve all aspects of the person’s independent living needs.
3. Counsels people with disabilities on independent living needs.
4. Provides Skills Training to Consumers.
5. Advocates for consumers. The Specialist advocates for consumers on any issue of concern to them that affects their independent living. An appropriate referral is made when legal advocacy is needed.
6. Provides consumers with needed information and/or makes appropriate referrals to other agencies, providers, etc...
7. Maintains and submits all required and appropriate documentation in a timely manner.
8. Attends meetings, trainings, and conferences as required.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the Program Manager or Executive Director.
Qualifications: A Bachelors degree in a related field with a minimum of one year experience working with people with disabilities. An appropriate level of experience and education will be considered.