Company Description: The mission of Berkshire Housing is to improve the quality of life in Berkshire County by increasing affordable housing opportunities, and to provide professional property management.
Front Office Receptionist
High School or Equivalent
Nice to have
This team member represents the first contact with any existing or potential new customers arriving in the main office and should create a positive first impression by providing key support for the organization’s internal and external customers. S/he must be pleasant, courteous, helpful, knowledgeable, professional, caring, adhere to personnel policies, understand privacy and confidentiality relating to information due all customers and be accurate at all times in providing information requested. This person must adhere to Berkshire Housing’s mission & goals and shall act in a way as to create a positive image of the agency.
This position was created as we recognized the continued growth of our Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) as well as our continued partnership with Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority (BCRHA). One of the goals was to have a combined front door that served all consumers coming in to see those of Berkshire Housing and Berkshire County Regional Housing Authority. This “one stop shopping” concept is designed to create greater organizational capacity and a more accessible front door for housing assistance, homelessness prevention and resolution services and financial assistance options for at-risk, low income Berkshire County households. It is imperative that the person in this position have a full understanding of all programs administered between the two partnering agencies so they are successful at making the proper referrals to customers. We will train the qualified candidate with great organizational and communication skills.
The duties of the Office Receptionist include but are not limited to the following:
General Office Tasks
• Greet customers that will enter the Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) reception area
• Provide general information and assistance including Berkshire Housing’s Language Access Plan (LAP) services to walk-in customers
• Answer questions &/or direct customers to appropriate staff or department(s)
• Thoroughly understand the qualifications of all programs administered within both agencies to ensure proper referrals are being made.
• Receive rent checks and provide receipts as needed
• Work with staff to schedule appointments w/customers as needed
• Date & time stamp all paperwork that flows through the reception window and ensure it gets into the proper staff’s mailbox
• Be able to refer customers to the Housing Consumer Education material in the waiting room area
• Capture all HCEC data in appropriate software system(s)
• Copy any relevant documents that a customer brings in to give to the appropriate staff person
• Provide copies of documents to tenants that may be needed for services within the county on an as needed basis i.e. documents that might be needed for their SNAP renewal.
• Perform a quick program screen to be able to refer the customer to the appropriate staff member and/or appropriate housing application
• Explain housing developments to customers that they may be eligible to apply for
• Assist other staff in various daily tasks as needed
• Hand out initial prescreen tool for those needing assistance, copy & scan once returned, enter into computer system
• Update policy & procedures manual regularly
• Update agencies in the community w/updated intake/assessment forms
• Hand out any relevant material to customers that their program representative has ready for them
• Disburse any utility allowance checks to current customers
• Work closely with the staff of all and have open communication dialogue
• Keep current with email correspondence
• Become familiar w/industry specific software we are mandated to use
• It is essential that the person in this position keep current with all changes in eligibility of programs administered as they occur
• These duties are not meant to be all-inclusive. Other duties may be added that are associated with a position of this nature and added at management’s discretion
Requirements: High School Diploma
Bi-lingual REQUIRED (English/Spanish speaking)
Proficiency with typing, Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel and Access) required
1-2 years prior experience in multi-tasked, customer service, detail oriented & fast paced office environment
Strong verbal & written communication skills
Valid driver’s license for training that may be required
Some out of town travel may be necessary for training/seminars, etc.
Experience &/or training which provides the required knowledge, skills & abilities