The ParentChild+ Program at Child Care of the Berkshires is a home visiting program which demonstrates to parents of two- and three-year old children pre-reading skills and language development skills, through home visits and gifts of books and toys. Early Learning Specialists also provide developmentally appropriate activities to build the parent-child bond and help the child learn through play, and connect families with community supports.
RESPONSIBLE TO: ParentChild+ Program Coordinator
The Early Learning Specialist is responsible for an assigned caseload of 6 or more families with young children, ages approximately 18 months through 4 years old. S/he will promote early literacy in the families’ homes by modeling and encouraging nurturing conversation. S/he will plan activities using books and toys as the curriculum. S/he will travel to families homes to provide the program. S/he will document all home visits. S/he will attend weekly staff meetings and individual supervision meetings.
1. Work with all families, staff and community members in a strength-based manner.
2. Demonstrate a commitment to value diversity and contribute to an equitable and inclusive working environment.
3. Communicate effectively with families and staff through text, email and phone conversations.
4. Participate in staff meetings, supervision, and professional development.
5. Demonstrate regular, dependable and punctual attendance.
1. The Early Learning Specialist will be assigned a caseload of 6 or more families, and creates a schedule to visit each home twice weekly for ½ hour, at the convenience of the family, scheduling make-up visits as needed.
2. The Early Learning Specialist models and emphasizes verbal interaction and learning using the provided books and toys, and plans an activity extending the learning from these books and toys.
3. The Early Learning Specialist writes notes and updates a schedule of visits in a timely manner, as directed by the Coordinator.
4. The Early Learning Specialist, in conjunction with the parent, assesses the developmental progress of the children, using provided screenings, twice yearly.
5. The Early Learning Specialist attends weekly staff meetings and supervision meetings.
6. The Early Learning Specialist is required to participate initially in 16 hours of orientation/training. The Early Learning Specialist continues professional development, and attends relevant training events, as directed by the Coordinator.
Salary Range: $16.50-18.50/hour with benefits, 20 hours guaranteed, year round.
CHILD CARE OF THE BERKSHIRES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WITH A LONGSTANDING COMMITMENT TO INCREASING THE DIVERSITY OF THE EMPLOYEE COMMUNITY