Dental Hygienist Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet and welcome all assigned patients.
- Conduct a medical and dental history with every patient contacting outside physicians when appropriate prior to care.
- Complete a thorough intra and extra oral exam for all patients.
- Take dental radiographs when appropriate.
- Provide prophylaxis cleaning and polishing of teeth.
- Provide root scaling and planing of teeth.
- Provide appropriate patient education as needed example: periodontal disease.
- Confer with treating dentist on all patients seen.
- Make necessary referrals to specialists where appropriate based upon practice guidelines.
- Document all patient activity in the patient chart.
- Sets up and breaks down treatment room between patients.
- Performs any lab tasks pertinent to role as assigned by the clinical manager and/or dentist.
- Follows all safety protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Answers phones as needed.
- Schedules new and established patent appointments as needed.
- In instances where a late emergency arrives, support the Dental Center Practice Manager or in his/her absence, the dentist on duty by supporting the care team where appropriate with service through patient’s final discharge.
- Observe and cooperate with the security of the Dental center at all time.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Manual Dexterity
- Interpersonal Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Physical Stamina
Essential Skills and Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have graduated with Associates in Dental Hygiene from an accredited school.
- Must have a valid Massachusetts license to practice as a Dental Hygienist.
- Maintain a current CPR license.
- Attend continuing education meetings at the dental center when scheduled.
- Be efficient and proficient in Dentrix and any other software required at the Dental Center.