The Medical Assistant is responsible for rooming patients and assisting physicians, Nurse Practitioners, LPNs and RNs at CHP’s at our Neighborhood HealthCenter site as requested. The Medical Assistant contributes to a work environment that is innovative, caring and collaborative and supports the mission and vision of CHP and compliance protocols.
This is 40 hour a week position in Pittsfield, MA. Monday through Friday, No Nights or Weekends.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Welcomes and escorts patient to exam room and preps patient for visit
• Accurately obtains and records patient’s vital signs, weight, height, etc.
• Accurately completes documents related to patient visit (for insurance billing/follow up care)
• Assist providers with exams, diagnostic or therapeutic procedures as requested.
• Directs patients following office visits.
• May performs EKG’s on selected patients after appropriate training and competency training.
• Prepares laboratory request forms and ensures accurate labels and records on all specimens.
• May deliver specimens to designated areas.
• Retrieves lab results and x-ray reports etc as needed.
• Performs patient intake to assist practitioner in directing patient care per written protocol.
• Communicates with outside agencies as directed by the practitioner.
• Retrieves x-ray reports as needed. Obtains results of lab and other diagnostic procedures when requested
• Cleans and restocks exam and treatment rooms as needed.
• Ensures follow-up booking and scheduling for patient as required by patient care plan.
• Accurately obtain information from patient’s to ensure patient is appropriately triaged
• Answers patient’s call to ensure timely response to their issues.
• Cross Trained to provide backup Patient Services and Front Office Duties
• Changes /updates service profiles to accommodate practitioners scheduling needs.
• Pre-registers patient at time of appointment scheduling
• Answers, screens, and routes outside calls to appropriate areas.
• Supplies information to callers and records messages.
• Performs clerical duties as requested.
• Professional manner; approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures.
• Ability to travel to all sites as assigned.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
This position is a full time position with benefits.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Must have medical protocols/competencies reviewed yearly by CHP’s Supervising RN or clinical trainer.
• Strong ability to multi-task.
• Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional client/patient situations;
• Responds promptly to patient needs;
• Solicits customer feedback to improve service;
• Responds to requests for service and assistance;
• Meets commitments and is punctual; strong work ethic.
• Follows policies and procedures;
• Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time;
• Supports organization's goals and values.
• Flexible: Willing to step in when needed and crossed trained for additional administration/medical reception coverage.
• Maintains confidentiality;
• Keeps emotions under control.
• Professional, welcoming personality.
• Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
Oral and Written Communication:
• Responds well to questions.
• Takes careful and accurate notes.
• Follows up on messages and ensures delivery of messages.
• Composes/types letters if requested by administration.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Massachusetts Medical Assistant Certification is required. Medical Office experience is a plus, Electronic record experience is a plus. CPR is required.
S/he must have the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos; ability to write simple correspondence; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Spanish speaking/Bilingual skills are a plus.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word and utilize Excel. Database skills are a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and may be required to help lift a patient out of a wheelchair. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.