Company Description: TOURISTS is a new 48-room hotel opening summer 2018 in North Adams, MA, a resurgent town in the Berkshires and a trailhead for New England’s history, art, food, music and exploration. TOURISTS brings the East Coast debut of chef Cortney Burns, formerly of San Francisco’s Bar Tartine, with a new restaurant called Loom, a nod to the many 19th century-era textile mills in the surrounding region.
TOURISTS’ name is drawn from the history of the Mohawk Trail, America’s first scenic byway and the road on which the hotel now sits. When the route first opened in 1914, local restaurants, shops, attractions and inns along the road promoted themselves to travelers by hanging a sign bearing the single word “TOURISTS.”
Full / Part Time
Hotel & Restaurant
High School or Equivalent
Up to One Year
Nice to have
Reports Directly to: Housekeeping Supervisor
Collaborates with: Front Desk Agent, Maintenance Technicians, and Room Service Operations
Indirectly Reports to: Hotel Grounds Manager, Director of Operations and General Manager
Job Description Summary
Working alongside the Housekeeping Supervisor, the Housekeeping Attendant is an integral member of the service team working together on day-to-day operations. TOURISTS’ goal in all positions is to exceed expectations of our guests. The Housekeeping staff contributes to that experience by providing service that includes, but is not limited to, the cleaning, restocking and general upkeep of the guest rooms, common areas and offices along with the laundry program.
This position is a very visible position. TOURISTS staff are expected to greet all guests in close proximity and make each feel important by providing a genuine welcome. The Housekeeping staff will maintain the company’s culture, values and reputation in the public eye, and with all staff, guests, vendors and partners.
Based upon fluctuating demands of the operation and to exceed guest expectations, it may be necessary to perform a multitude of different functions not specifically related to this position. The Housekeeping Attendants are expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed. Furthermore, employee responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
1. Housekeeping Operations
• Maintain accountability for Housekeeping procedures, including cleaning, inventory/restocking, and laundry
• Maintain Inventory Tracking system for all Housekeeping Items (linens, room amenities, cleaning supplies) incorporating cohesive damage product tracking
• Update and maintain all Housekeeping logs and checklists
• Monitor guest rooms, laundry room and other guest areas for maintenance needs and communicate with Maintenance Staff on Work Orders
• Monitor guest rooms for in-room service items and coordinate with the Food & Beverage & Front Desk staff for retrieval service
• Communicate timely and effectively with Front Desk on guest room status and other guest needs
2. Quality Standards and Improvements
• Comply with departmental objectives, policies and Standard Operating Procedures;
• Ensure your training is complete and sets you up to execute on established processes/procedures
• Adhere to work schedule and provide timely notification regarding late arrivals
• Incorporate guest name recognition at all times
• Resolve and/or escalate guest complaints regarding property operations
3. Safety and Regulatory Compliance
• Comply with health, Safety and fire regulations
• Ensure timely reporting of all safety infractions and injury incidents
• Maintain a high level of cleanliness and safety in the work area
• Ensure that all equipment is maintained in good, safe working condition
• Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues throughout the property
• Comply with safety and emergency procedures and OSHA requirements and execute on these standards
4. Personal Performance Standards
• Always ensure open lines of communication with all departments and upper management via radio, text, email, log books, meetings, etc., to ensure all needs of the hotel are met
• Attend all relevant meetings
• Comply with all Company policies and procedures
• Create a respectful and safe work environment
• Maintain on-going professional development
Work Related Experience
Minimum of two (3) years housekeeping experience or related experience. Hotel experience is preferred.
High School diploma or general education degree (GED). College Degree preferred.
Certificates, licenses, and/or identification cards as required by the U.S. Department of Justice to verify employment eligibility.
Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues. Ensure all security policies and procedures are observed in areas such as computer security, keys, locks, inventory, property, employee and guest information.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of co-workers and guests
• Ability to understand other computer programs (i.e. POS and PMS)
• Ability to apply concepts of math including: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and algebra, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
1. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
2. The person in this position may have to lift up to 50 pounds on a daily basis. Any lift over 50 lbs is deemed a two-person lift.
3. The person having this position may have to sit for one (1) hour, stand and/or walk, push, kneel, bend, balance, squat, reach and stretch for eight (8) hours per day
4. The position does require movement between locations on property exposing individual to variable climate conditions as well as movement in and out of kitchen facilities.
5. The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.