The Box Office Associate is a critical part of our Visitor Experience team and is often the first point of contact for patrons; providing a foundation for our visitor’s experience in a welcoming, enthusiastic, and engaging way.
Box office Associates are required to interact with a diverse group of visitors, establishing connections to promote educational and performing arts programs, encourage visitors to explore the North Adams community and the Berkshires at large; and impart any other information that provides the best possible experience at the museum and in the surrounding community.
Our Box Office Associates further support the institution by operating and coordinating all aspects of ticket sales for both performing arts events and gallery admission. Representatives utilize ticketing software, Tessitura, for ticket sales, data management and generating lists. They further act as a greeter and provide customer service as well as maintain the overall look of the lobby. Work schedules often follow museum hours, and availability must include weekends, holidays, evenings for performances and events, as well as festivals.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides high-quality customer service, remaining professional, personable, and engaging to all museum visitors
• Facilitates all aspects of ticket sales, including cash handling, invoices, refunds, returns, and specialty tickets
• Maintains constituent records, including personal information, donation or membership records, and ticket records
• Promotes museum membership; understands any special promotions and changes
• Assists in wayfinding for patrons, and provides directions and/or alternate routes based on patron mobility
• Responds courteously and professionally to both phone calls and emails from patrons and other museum departments in a timely manner
• Takes initiative to learn about exhibitions, educational opportunities for visitors, and performing arts programs, and promotes these to all visitors, as applicable
• Works at special events, performances, opening receptions, public programs, and other programs as assigned
• Works with Box Office Manager on Tessitura development, which includes building and editing performances in Tessitura for Online, Membership and Walk Up sales
• Works special events, performances, opening receptions, public programs, and other programs as assigned
• Attends all mandatory department meetings/trainings
• The Box Office representative may be cross-trained in other visitor experience roles and may be assigned job-share shifts support institutional needs
• A minimum of 2 years customer service and cash draw experience required; museum/cultural organization preferred
• High school diploma, GED, or equivalent required
• Is capable of working in a fast-paced environment and interface effectively with visitors, and remaining calm and effective during high-traffic times
• Has outgoing personality and is enthusiastic to interact with guests and colleagues
• Has commitment to providing excellent and impactful visitor experience in a friendly, respectful and patient manner
• Computer Savvy
• Confident to work independently during gallery hours and performing arts events
• Has exceptional verbal and communication skills
• Responds quickly and calmly to emergencies
• Knowledge of the North Adams area and experience with customer service are preferred
• Experience with Tessitura is desirable, but not required
• This position requires ability to work a flexible schedule, with availability on weekends, and holidays, and for events, programs, and festivals, including those after museum hours
• The majority of the workday is spent indoors, but occasional special events, exhibitions, and/or festivals may require working outdoors and in inclement weather
• Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time
• Must be able to verbally communicate with guests
• Ability to lift 50 pounds
• For employment at MASS MoCA, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required for employment.
As defined by the National Labor Relations Act, this position is part of the bargaining unit for UAW Local 2110.