Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Highway Maintenance Craftsperson
High School or Equivalent
• Performs labor duties in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, highways, bridges, and related traffic control systems, including incidental facility maintenance & general public works related duties
• Performs maintenance duties operating heavy dump trucks, backhoes, loaders, specialized road construction & maintenance equipment, stripers & mowers and other grounds or tree maintenance equipment
• Performs daily servicing & maintenance on equipment assigned, including incidental related welding
• Works with contractors during construction or excavation on streets, bridges, sidewalks, driveways etc
• Works with & directs employees of lesser skill levels in maintenance of streets & highways and related buildings & structures
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Candidate must be eighteen years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent
• Two years of acceptable experience operating heavy equipment such as trucks, snowplows, loader/backhoes, bulldozers, loaders or other hydraulic equipment of a type to be used in the performance of tasks assigned
• Two years acceptable experience as a construction journeyman or equivalent in street construction or general contracting industry.
• Strong working knowledge of construction methods, techniques, equipment, materials and safety practices used in a Public Services Department
• Ability to climb ladders and enter manholes, access ways & underground vaults, walk long distances over uneven terrain, lift 50 lbs. from ground to chest height in a standing position, and work outdoors during all seasons
• At minimum, shall hold a valid Class B CDL with air brake and tanker endorsements, and a hoisting license Class 1C (telescoping booms without cables), Class 2B (backhoe and front-end loaders), Class 4E (catch basin cleaner) and Class 4G (specialty lawn mower). All licenses suitable for use in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
• Ability to interact with people on an up-beat and friendly basis regardless of circumstances