Company Description: TOURISTS is a new 48-room hotel opening summer 2018 in North Adams, MA, a resurgent town in the Berkshires and a trailhead for New England’s history, art, food, music and exploration. TOURISTS brings the East Coast debut of chef Cortney Burns, formerly of San Francisco’s Bar Tartine, with a new restaurant called Loom, a nod to the many 19th century-era textile mills in the surrounding region.
TOURISTS’ name is drawn from the history of the Mohawk Trail, America’s first scenic byway and the road on which the hotel now sits. When the route first opened in 1914, local restaurants, shops, attractions and inns along the road promoted themselves to travelers by hanging a sign bearing the single word “TOURISTS.”
$15.00 Per Hour
Full / Part Time
Hotel & Restaurant
High School or Equivalent
Nice to have
Up to One Year
Nice to have
Job Description Summary
TOURISTS’ goal in all positions is to exceed expectations of our guests. The Kitchen staff contributes to that experience by providing service that includes, but is not limited to, planning, executing, or coordinating food service for multiple venues within the Property. The Kitchen staff interacts with the Food and Beverage team to ensure timely service and appropriate presentation. Other tasks may be assigned based on property needs.
The Kitchen staff must develop and maintain the company’s culture, values and reputation in the public eye, and with all staff, guests, vendors and partners.
• Food service preparation including stocking, chopping, butchering and preparing food service.
• Cook and prepare foods using chef created recipes, while maintaining kitchen guidelines and kitchen policies procedures ensuring quality and presentation meet restaurant requirements
• Comply with food nutrition and sanitary regulations
• Ensure excellent food presentation
• As an open kitchen when on-site at the Lodge, it is required that all line cooks are well mannered, well- spoken and in appropriate dress at all times.
• Maintain positive and professional external and interpersonal communications
• Maintain a high level of cleanliness and safety in the work area
• Ensure that all equipment is maintained in good, safe working condition
• Keep abreast of and comply with safety and emergency procedures and OSHA requirements
• Attend relevant meetings
• Any and all other duties as assigned by management
Additional Essential Functions and Accountabilities
1. Have knowledge of seasonal and local ingredient availability and trends.
2. Have knowledge of and be able to perform of essential roles within the Kitchen staff (pastry, sauces, grill station, etc.)
3. Properly account for tools, equipment and materials
4. On-going professional development and understanding of evolving needs of the industry
Education & Experience
1. High School diploma or general education degree (GED) or relevant trade school training
2. Three to Four years related experience in commercial kitchen setting
1. Ability to utilize terminology of a commercial kitchen
2. Demonstrated abilities in portion control, knife skills, plating, execution of recipe
3. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced meal service period
4. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) of the workplace
5. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
1. Position requires ability to adhere to rotating shift schedule (1st, & 2nd shift) and changes to days off
2. Kitchen staff will work in multiple environments within the property, some of which are restrictive in size
3. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
4. The person in this position may have to lift up to fifty (50) pounds on a daily basis; anything over fifty (50) pounds is considered a minimum two (2) person lift
5. The person in this position may have to stand and/or walk, push, kneel, bend, balance, squat, reach and stretch for eight (8) hours per day
6. Position is responsible for handling heavy containers of hot food and liquids and engaging with hot ovens, grills and stovetops.
7. This position requires exposure to the climate variations of a commercial kitchen environment