Company Description: Big Y® is a family owned and family oriented retail food company serving people's at home food needs.
Our goal is to exceed our customers' evolving expectations by constantly seeking better ways to create and deliver World Class service and value.
A Big Y Application for Employment must be completed prior to receiving an interview.
To complete your application, visit bigy.com/careers.
Questions? Please contact the Employee Services Representative at your store location of interest:
In Great Barrington: (413) 528-1314 or email@example.com.
In Lee: (413) 243-3201 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Business Name: Big Y Foods, Inc - Lee, MA
Cheese Merchant - Lee
To Commensurate With Experience
High School or Equivalent
• Assist customers to make cheese buying decisions (pairing, entertaining, cooking suggestions), educate about the products, build trust/lasting relationships and create sales. Being able to comfortable speak with customers and make recommendations is essential.
• Perform deli functions outside of time allotted for cheese bar.
• Willing to use additional educational materials to improve knowledge in the cheese area
• Flexibility to travel periodically to manufacturers of cheese and other items.
• Collaborate with management in decision-making, direction and implementation to ensure that operational and sales goals are met.
• Provide training as needed through product knowledge and expertise.
• Receive, prepare, weigh, finish, cut, price, package, merchandise, and stock cheese and other gourmet food products as needed.
• Learn and verify the items received or made (Fresh Mozzarella) that they are at the proper quality standards set by Big Y.
• Maintain proper department conditions (e.g., shelf, case, sales floor, backroom, freezer, and cooler, etc.).
• Maintain inventory and order adequate product as assigned (e.g., in stock position, inventory management, days on hand, shrink).
• Operate, clean, and maintain equipment/machinery, tools, and workstations.
• Adhere to all Company policies/procedures and government regulations.
• Complete all training requirements by respective due dates to obtain a vast knowledge in cheese and pairings.
• Must be fully proficient in ordering for the cheese bar and peripheral area (able to independently order product for re-sale with input from Deli Sales Manager)
• Possess a passion for tasting and talking about cheese.
• Ability to represent A Culture of Caring and The Pursuit of Excellence? through Big Y’s Firm Foundations? (Character, Collaboration, Personal Development, Actions & Results).
• Must project a clean and professional appearance.
• Must be a team player with a positive attitude and businesslike conduct.
• Ability to operate within Company policies, procedures, and standards.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule in accordance with the needs of the store.
• Attention to detail, accuracy, ability to prioritize, ability to work independently and follow-through.
• Possess excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Ability to learn cheese knowledge and apply to everyday work.
• Ability to utilize computer applications.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must consent to and pass a drug screen and background investigation at time of hire.
• Medium work: Lifting 50 lb. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
• Continuously standing, walking, pushing, fingering, and handling.
• Frequently bending, reaching, balancing, and feeling.
• Occasionally squatting, climbing, kneeling, or crouching.
• Work in cold (cooler) as needed.