Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Some High School Coursework
The City Engineer provides professional civil engineering and traffic engineering services for the City and directs work of the Engineering Division of the Department of Public Services.
• Prepares and provides oversight review of plans & specifications for construction and other engineering related projects for the City, including professional engineering services contracts. Supervise inspection of all construction work done by or for the City for adherence to plans and specifications.
• Collaborates and works closely with other city departments on projects or initiatives.
• Investigates, studies and renders reports and recommendations as the City’s traffic engineer on all matters pertaining to traffic and parking in the City, including the location of traffic signals, stop signs, speed limits, pavement markings, traffic noise, parking locations/restrictions, truck exclusions and other directly or indirectly related matters.
• Plans and supervises the work of subordinates in the Engineering Division.
• Reviews subdivision plans in accordance with established City requirements for utilities, street design, traffic impact, stormwater management and related matters.
• Maintains & controls engineering plans and related records of the City.
• Incumbent may be required to attend meetings outside normal work hours, and/or serve on city boards, committees and commissions.
• Performs other duties as required
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering is required from an accredited program. Licensed to practice professional civil engineering in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is desirable, but not required.
• Minimum of five (5) years applicable experience in civil engineering, traffic engineering field, office work and/or construction project management with at least two years’ experience at a supervisory, project engineer or managing engineer level.
• Demonstrates the ability to prepare clear, concise and comprehensive reports of a professional nature on a variety of engineering related subjects
• Working knowledge and familiarity with: A.) the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices and the Massachusetts amendments thereto; B.) EPA National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting, and C.) MassDOT Complete Streets Program requirements
• Familiarity with construction methods and materials as applicable to street/sidewalk design and construction, as well as water, sewer and storm drain system design and construction
• Valid Massachusetts Driver’s License
• Agility & ability sufficient to visit and inspect projects on City roadways, sidewalks, parks, conservation lands and water resource locations; may include remote and difficult access locations, including pits and vaults, water storage tanks, watershed area reservoirs/culverts/bridges/dams, public off-road trails, etc.
Monday - Friday, 40 Hours
Annual Salary: $73,714- $95,828
Applications accepted until position is filled
For a full job description and/or to apply, please visit our careers page: