Immediate opening for a full time Highway and Sewer Operator, minimum of a High school diploma, and experience in public works construction and maintenance required, along with a current Class B CDL license with airbrake endorsements and Hoisting License with at least a 2B and 4G restriction. Starting salary $20.19/hour, with an increase to $22.20 after a six-month probationary period. Benefits include health/life insurance, pension, paid holidays, sick days and vacations.
A multi-task position that will primarily operate skillfully, efficiently, and safely
all equipment in the Highway & Cemetery Departments. Included, but not limited to
backhoe, front-end loader, road grader, heavy & light trucks, snowplows & sanders,
jackhammers, and catch basin cleaners.
1. Selected by the Highway/Cemetery Superintendent with the approval of the
2. Works under general supervision of the department Superintendent and/or
the working Foreman of the department.
3. Must be able to work overtime hours as needed and directed by
Superintendent. This will be at times in adverse weather conditions.
4. Must be able to exercise good judgement, and apply solutions to emergencies
that may developed while operating town equipment.
5. Be able to supervise a small work crew in the absence of a Foreman or
6. Heavy lifting may be required at times.
7. Ability to work at times without supervision.
Examples of Duties
1. Operate safely and efficiently the Highway and Cemetery Departments’ heavy
and small equipment, such as but not limit to, road graders, front-end loaders,
backhoes, dump trucks, air compressors, sewer cleaning equipment, and other
equipment as required.
2. Inspects equipment on a daily basis to assure that all controls and safety devices
are functioning properly.
3. Lubricates and otherwise services equipment to ensure proper operation
4. Participate in ice and snow removal operations which will require
overtime work, Saturday, Sunday, and night work.
5. Ability to perform burials in Cemetery Department.
6. Ability to respond to emergencies, for sewer problem, storm damage, and
winter weather, on very short notice.
7. Use a variety of hand and power tools.
8. Build, repair, clean, and maintain drainage systems and sewer systems.
9. Duties may include laborer functions when needed.
10. Perform other duties as required by the Superintendent.
Suggested Education and Experience Requirements
1. Class B motor vehicle license (CDL), with air brake endorsements
2. Massachusetts Hoisting Engineering license with at least 2A & 4G restrictions
3. High school diploma or equivalent
4. Minimum 5 years experience in road construction and maintenance area
5. Must be able to demonstrate the skill to operate heavy and specialized public
works equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
6. Requires knowledge of carpentry, masonry, pipe laying, and small engine
Occupational Risks and Physical Demands
Duties are often strenuous, requiring manual dexterity, physical efforts, and
Employee is expected to lift, carry and place heavy objects to the limitations as specified
in O.S.HA. and state regulations. Safety hazards are always present involving the potential personal and public injury. A clear and competent mind and body are always
an essential requirement for this position.