Company Description: The mission of the North Adams Public Schools is to provide all students with the values, knowledge, and skills needed to reach their full potential, with the ultimate goal of becoming lifelong learners and productive members of the 21st Century.
As a district, we are committed to providing a safe environment in which all individuals embrace the core values of diversity, inclusiveness, shared community responsibility, breadth of learning, and continuous growth and improvement.
Teacher Assistant (2)
High School or Equivalent
48 or more credits are required or applicant must pass ParaPro exam. Willingness to participate in in-service training and opportunities offered by the district. - Preference: Required
This position is for the school year only.
Job Goal: To assist in providing a classroom environment where all students, including those with special needs, can learn and participate as fully as possible.
Supervision: Reports to the Building Principal and the Director of Student Support Services.
1. Work with individuals and small groups of students on all aspects of their curriculum, under the teacher’s direction.
2. Supervise and guide small and large group instruction, as set up by the teacher.
3. Assist individual children in need of special attention or programming, as requested.
4. Assist the teacher with non-instructional classroom duties, such as supervising classroom routines or preparing materials.
5. To assist with non-instructional activities such as supervision of lunchroom, assemblies, field trips, etc.
6. Maintain the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of teachers.
7. Perform related duties as requested by the classroom teacher, special education support teacher, and/or building principal.
8. Teacher assistant may be reassigned as needed.
The Committee's policy of nondiscrimination will extend to students, staff, the general public, and individuals with whom it does business; No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school of any town or in obtaining the advantages, privileges, and courses of study of such public school on account of age, race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or homelessness.
Required: High School diploma or equivalent required. Must possess experience and demonstrate an aptitude for working with youth. 48 or more credits are required or applicant must pass ParaPro exam. Willingness to participate in in-service training and opportunities offered by the district.
Preferred: Additional training or education.
Physical Requirements: The position requires a moderate amount of walking, standing, sitting and climbing stairs and step stool whenever necessary. Activities also include moderate physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending, twisting, grasping, pushing, and pulling of objects. The position requires lifting objects of 20 pounds on a frequent basis, and over 20 pounds occasionally. There is a frequent requirement of fine manipulation associated with the required use of a computer, typewriter, keyboard, calculator, and other business machines.
Environmental Conditions: The occupant is required to work indoors. The regular chemical solvents are toners, inks, and cleaning fluids.
As an employee of the North Adams Public Schools you will be subject to a Massachusetts criminal background check (CORI) and you will be required to submit to a national criminal background check by fingerprint. There is a cost associated with the national fingerprint and the prospective employee is responsible for this cost. All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory results of these employment screening processes.