Hoosac Water Quality District
667 Simonds Road
Company Description: Hoosac Water Quality District is a
wastewater treatement facility serving the
City of North Adams and the Town of
Compost Operator/Operator II
High School or Equivalent
Performs skilled operation of equipment and labor tasks relative to composting of sewage sludge and maintenance at a wastewater treatment facility. This is a full time, 40 hour per week position. Those interested should submit a resume and or application on or before August 8, 2019 to the Hoosac Water Quality District, 667 Simonds Road, Williamstown, MA 01267.
• This position requires the use of hand tools, shop equipment, heavy equipment and company vehicles.
• The job involves work both indoors and outdoors, and the employee may be exposed to inclement weather, as well as biological, chemical, electrical and mechanical hazards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
• Takes and records readings of compost plant equipment, including temperature, pressure and vacuum.
• Operates a variety of valves, gates and switches in order to operate the compost plant equipment.
• Responds to alarms or operational problems within the plant property and at remote locations and takes corrective actions based on defined procedures or supervisor direction.
• Cleans equipment and facilities and maintains a safe working environment.
• Frequently required to operate a forklift, bobcat, front end loader, mini excavator, single axle dump truck, screening unit and or pick-up truck.
• May be required to collect samples, perform standard tests and record results. Notifies supervisor if readings are abnormal.
• Assists other operators and plant staff with cleaning, maintaining, repairing and installing plant equipment.
• May be called upon to fill in other job duties during vacations and emergency situations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Working knowledge in the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment facility and or composting operation.
• Must possess a valid MA 2B Hoisting License and current DOT health card or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
• A valid MA Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. A current MA CDL with Class B endorsement is a plus.
• OSHA 10 Construction Safety Certification is a plus.
• Must be able to comprehend both oral and written instructions and to communicate both orally and in writing.
• Must be able to perform mathematical calculations with fractions, decimals, percentages and the metric system.
• Must have basic knowledge of computer programs (Excel, Word and Outlook) and be able to accurately perform manual and computer entry record keeping.
• Must be able to use hand tools, meters, keyboards and electrical/mechanical equipment and to manipulate machinery.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, coworkers and the public.
• Must be able to exercise independent judgment within the limits of the position.
• Must be able to perform duties of the job for an entire shift for the entire workweek and to perform occasional overtime. May be required to work evenings, nights, weekends and/or holidays. There will be a certain amount of mandatory overtime required of this position.
• May be required to perform custodial duties on all buildings and structures.
• Must have ability to detect odors and colors indicative of hazardous gases, upset processes, status indicators and alarms.
• Must have the ability to detect alarms and indicators of equipment malfunctions in normal aural range.
• Must be able to read gauges, dials, equipment information plates, charts, and manuals, and make adjustments and do work requiring depth perception, and detect changes in the visual appearance of equipment and/or processes.
• Must have a good work ethic, including a willingness to perform job place tasks and to assist coworkers without redundant directive.
• Must demonstrate good workmanship, performing tasks neatly and in a timely manner.
• Must demonstrate a willingness to comply with safety rules.
• Must demonstrate a basic knowledge of or ability to learn system operation and terminology.
• Physical strength and dexterity requirements include the ability to:
-Lift and carry equipment or tools up to 70lbs.
-Remove and replace manhole cover.
-Climb up and down stairs or ladders carrying tools or equipment.
-Work in confined spaces.
• Must obtain at a minimum a MA Grade 4M wastewater license within one year of hire.
-Once licensed you will be required to work rotating weekend and holiday schedules to
perform laboratory process control procedures.
• Additional training in mechanics and experience, and/or some knowledge of the functions and servicing requirements of equipment and processes involved in the treatment of water/wastewater industries is desirable.