Company Description: Laurin Publishing currently maintains a staff of 50 employees at its headquarters in Pittsfield, Mass.The company also includes several contributing editors located around the world and an editorial advisory board of over 25 leaders in the photonics industry.
Since its founding in 1954, the company has adhered to a philosophy of editorial quality and integrity that ensures that advertisers reach the largest number of loyal readers. Because of this philosophy, the company has maintained an international reputation for leadership in Photonics.
Over the past five decades Laurin Publishing has fostered a tradition of innovation that has defined the industry. As our publications grew — following the technology into an ever widening range of applications — it became evident that the fields of optics, lasers, imaging, fiber optics, electro-optics and photonics component manufacturing had become so interrelated that a unifying name was needed. Thus was born the term Photonics.
Additional Business Name: Laurin Publishing
Full / Part Time
CPA - Preference: Preferred
30 hour per week with benefits. Position is located at our Pittsfield, MA office and is not available for remote work.
Oversight of the Accounting Department for an industry leading online and hard copy specialized scientific publishing company. Manages department goals, processes, and staff to assure the accuracy and timeliness of all accounting department functions and the fulfillment of related company objectives. Researches variances and discrepancies resolving any problems in a timely manner and making necessary improvements as needed.
Models time management, conscientiousness, dedication, self-discipline, accountability and responsibility. Supports and fosters an environment to promote employee development and participation. Effectively schedules, directs and assesses performance of Accounting Department staff.
Preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements/schedules.
Assists with preparation and monitors timely filing of corporate tax returns including sales tax, estimated corporate and yearly corporate returns ensuring compliance with payment, reporting and other tax requirements.
Review and approve invoices and expense reporting assuring proper G/L coding and appropriate pricing. Monitor cash accounts and wire transfers. Responsible for the safeguarding of company assets Continually monitors department processes and makes necessary improvement/adjustments.
Other Job Functions:
Employee 401(k) processing including but not limited to loans and payroll deductions. Fixed asset tracking and entries. Year-end audit preparation. Assist with other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
· CPA preferred but not required
· 3 – 5 years of successful accounting management experience required including A/P, A/R, payroll, GL, tax return and financial statement preparation
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills required, both written and oral, as well as excellent problem solving abilities
· Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all matters handled within the department
· Must be organized, attentive to detail and able to manage multiple tasks with aggressive deadlines
· Proficient use of Microsoft Excel, Word and basic use of Outlook required
· Experience with MAS 90 and fixed asset software preferred
· Commitment to the company’s culture and quality service standards.
· Ability to effectively utilize all general office equipment, answer the telephone, take direction and professionally interact with clients, other employees, supervisors and senior management of the company.
· Prolonged periods of sitting. Prolonged periods of computer/keyboard us