Company Description: Platforms: Smarter. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, we solve the toughest security and technology challenges facing our nation and its allies by building smarter mission-critical products and systems.We develop mission critical C4ISR solutions across the land, sea, air, space and cyber domains. As you might imagine, we can offer career paths that fit almost any area of expertise. Almost any background or interests. And almost any short- and long-term career goals. At our location in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, we develop advanced solutions to support the U.S. Navy's latest ships and combat systems.
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.
Learn more about the Pittsfield facility here: www.gdmissionsystems.com/PittsfieldMA.
2021-48321 - LCS Program Manager
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a SSPI Program Manager. The position provides an opportunity to enhance the performance and profitability of an organization that supports some of our nation’s fundamental defense services. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
This position will support the Independence Variant Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program within the Combatants Portfolio, Surface Ship Platform Integration Business Segment. Duties will include managing the execution of existing contracts as well as the capture of new combatant, unmanned and autonomous business opportunities. You will work closely with the LCS Senior Program Manager and the Combatants Portfolio Manager to ensure alignment of technical objectives, schedule and cost ensuring successful Program and new business execution.
As aspiring leaders, General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) believes there are several enabling behaviors which will influence your success. These behaviors will also serve as leading indicators of likely success (or difficulty), and will be used by your manager in evaluating your performance and growth as a leader, and will serve to build trust from your teams, your customer, and the organization.
These behaviors are:
Be a team player
Develop and sustain the relationships you need to be successful
Shape culture and positively impact the morale, motivation, and engagement of those around you
Operate at the right level and deliver on your commitments
Think and act strategically
Take reasonable, managed risks
It is expected the successful candidate will utilize these tenets so they can build on their own essential skills and traits.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
• Uses proposal plans and strategies to lead team in developing, defining, and implementing cohesive, integrated program/product, subcontractor, and material plans, and business plans that achieve overall current and long term objectives of the program/product, business unit, and division
• Identifies needed resources for projects, defines and assigns major program roles
• Leads the establishment of and sets integrated WBS-based budget and schedule baselines including management reserve for programs/products that are complex in nature, high value, with a new customer, or in a new market area
• Monitors work accomplished to baseline plans to ensure rate of work completion is sufficient to meet program/product schedules
• Balances program risks and opportunities with executable strategies to meet technical requirements and budgets
• Manages people who lead cross-functional program teams in matrix organization that are focused on the delivery of a product or computer-based system from design to release for customers
• Creates an environment that fosters professional growth for team members
• Delegates assignments to others for developing solutions
• Conducts reviews to drill down into issues on products/programs, identify issues, develop corrective actions, and communicate issues, impacts and corrective actions to program teams
• Responsible for maximizing profit and cash flow of products/programs
• Leads team to identify and quantify risks and opportunities and risk mitigation / opportunity capture activities
• Decouples risk items from mainstream program to the greatest extent possible
• Prepares and presents program/product status to leadership and external customers
• Interfaces with customers on technical matters regarding program/products
• Identifies potential subcontractors for program elements
• Identifies scope changes and develops product/program positions for equitable cost and schedule adjustments
• Develops and executes proposal plans and strategies
• Develops customer relationships and develops new business within the market/program
• Follows processes and operational policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
• Recommends changes to policies and establishes procedures that affect immediate organization(s)
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong knowledge of products and technologies including current and potential applications
• Strong knowledge of target customer markets
• Skilled in the development and implementation of product/program strategy and tactics
• Ability to generate cohesive program plans
• Must be able to establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements
• Ability to develop and implement a product-oriented WBS and WBS Dictionary
• Ability to track work accomplished to baseline plans and identify issues, track progress, and follow through on effective corrective actions based on data analysis and trends
• Skilled in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions on programs to internal and external representatives
• Ability to understand and analyze program financial data
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to evaluate quality of work product to ensure satisfaction of customer requirements
• Strong understanding of advanced of risk and opportunity management techniques and ability to apply them to programs
• Ability to lead teams in matrix organization
• Strong knowledge of government contracting practices and regulations regarding acquisition
• Outstanding relationship management and marketing skills
• Needs ability to execute company policies that affect immediate operations
• Ability to develop and execute proposal plans and strategies
• Ability to lead program in customer negotiations and negotiate win-win solutions
• Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to complete assignments normally result in serious delays and considerable expenditure of additional time, human resources, and funds
• Will interact frequently with internal personnel and outside representatives at various levels
• Working Knowledge of MS Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• May be required to travel
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 8 years relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years relevant experience to meet managerial expectations.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.