Company Description: MASS MoCA is one of the world's liveliest (and largest) centers for making and enjoying today's most important art, music, dance, theater, film, and video. Hundreds of works of visual and performing art have been created on its 19th-century factory campus during fabrication and rehearsal residencies, making MASS MoCA among the most productive sites in the country for the creation and presentation of new art. More platform than box, MASS MoCA strives to bring to its audiences art experiences that are fresh, engaging, and transformative.
High School or Equivalent
The maintenance mechanic works with the buildings and grounds department to provide a diverse set of services including minor electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and other trade work.
This position requires a motivated individual, who has the ability to work independently and with others. Must be neat and organized with excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with all types of customers. Must also have the ability to problem solve, work independently, and take direction constructively from others.
Work schedule is 1st shift: Wednesday - Sunday, with Monday and Tuesday off.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform preventive maintenance and repair duties, including but not limited to HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work
• Responsible for the completion of all maintenance service requests as assigned
• Monitor and maintain all building systems as assigned, including daily checks of all HVAC equipment
• Monitor HVAC controls to ensure comfort of patrons and tenants
• General maintenance of HVAC equipment, including but not limited to: belts, filters, lubrication (greasing)
• Ensuring that maintenance schedules are followed
• Required for snow removal and snow call during winter months and responds to emergencies as directed by supervisor
• Required to work all festivals and occasional events
• Work overtime as assigned by supervisor
• Performs other duties as required
• Each of the positions in the Buildings and Grounds department serves as one unit of the whole team, and as such, is subject to assist or is assigned to tasks in other trades within the classification.
• Minimum of two years experience in building maintenance, the construction industry, or facility and equipment maintenance and repair
• Must be able to successfully perform general maintenance, electrical and plumbing tasks
• Education: Minimum high school diploma or equivalent required
Preference give for prior HVAC experience
• Preferred knowledge of standard practices, methods, materials, tools, testers and other equipment used in the HVAC trade; principles of operation of systems; occupational hazards and safety practices of trade; national, state and local code standards.
• Ability to follow directions and follow through on assignments; handle multiple deadlines and changing priorities; work independently; read, estimate time and materials; use all types of hand and power tools; to attend required training courses; maintain proficiency in the trade; maintain accurate schedules and records; work at heights to 40 feet; follow industry and reasonable safety standards and practices to ensure safety to self and others; operate snow removal equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
• Willing to learn
• Mechanically inclined
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Competent in organizational, time management skills
• Demonstrates good judgment, problem solving and decision making skills
• Basic computer knowledge
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
• Indoor/Outdoor work in uncontrolled temperature environments is required
• Must be physically able to perform heavy work on a daily basis
• Must be able to work in an environment with construction level noises
• Must be available to work weekends and assigned schedule
• Work schedule is Wednesday - Sunday, with Monday and Tuesday off. 1st shift.
• Physically able to do required work which could include some heavy and sustained lifting (up to 50 lbs) squatting, bending, stooping, carrying, climbing of ladders up to 25 feet, work an 8-hour shift, and other functions.
• Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
• Ability to read and comprehend written directions, instructions, and safety information in order to safely perform job functions.