Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Motor Equipment Repairperson
Some High School Coursework
The City of Pittsfield's Department of Public Services is looking for a qualified candidate for the position of Motor Equipment Repair Person. This individual will perform skilled work in the servicing and repair of a wide variety of automotive vehicles & motorized equipment for the Department of Public Services. The candidate shall provide and maintain a complete set of standard heavy equipment repair tools and wrenches sufficient to perform regular and routine engine repair tasks. This individual is required to perform work outside of repair working hours in support of weather related City operations or for other emergency needs.
• Inspects and troubleshoots gasoline and diesel internal combustion engine powered vehicles and other engine powered equipment, including air compressors, vehicle and equipment hydraulic systems, generators, pump drives, etc.
• Performs various repairs, including, but not limited to, engine tune ups and overhauls, repairs to related electrical systems, brake and clutch adjustments, carburetor repairs or adjustments, front end alignment and adjustment, replacement of engine components, valve and brake drum grinding, replacement or repair and painting of body panels and parts, and related welding and metal work
• Performs preventative maintenance such as lubrication, oil and filter changes, checking antifreeze, etc.
• Fabricates and modifies equipment to serve specific needs and requirements by installing brackets, racks, etc.
• Test drives vehicles and equipment to diagnose repairs and to ensure repairs are satisfactorily completed
• Performs other duties as required or assigned
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Two years of acceptable experience in a full time position involving the repair and maintenance of automotive engines and other vehicle or equipment components
• Thorough knowledge of the tools, equipment, and techniques used in motor equipment repair, including diagnostic equipment
• Valid Class B Commercial Driver’s License for use in Massachusetts within six (6) months of appointment
• Experience and working familiarity with welding equipment and techniques
• Within six (6) months of appointment a valid certification by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence for medium/ heavy duty truck brakes is required
• Valid Hydraulic Engineer license 1C and 2A within 1 year of employment, 3A and 4A within one (1) year required
• Ability to interact with people on an up-beat and friendly basis, regardless of circumstances