Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Senior Account Clerk
Some High School Coursework
The Department of Finance and Administration’s Accounting Office is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Senior Account Clerk. Summary of duties include invoice entry and account maintenance work requiring knowledge of basic accounting and auditing principles, and familiarity with governmental accounting procedures. The successful candidate must possess solid accounting skills with knowledge of computerized accounting systems and familiar with data entry procedures, with strong attention to detail and accuracy in work produced. Applicant should possess reasonable speed in the operation of a keyboard and calculator and interact with other City departments and its employees in an upbeat and courteous manner.
• Answer accounting questions from vendors and departments, or direct to appropriate party.
• Audit invoices/vouchers submitted for payment for accuracy; verify bills against purchase orders, vendor numbers and general ledger accounts; process vouchers for payments.
• Process personal reimbursements (i.e., travel, union allowances, tuition reimbursements, etc.)
• Process voided checks; reissue checks, as needed.
• Process department purchase requisitions; prepare vouchers for payment, as needed.
• Assign vendor numbers; maintain schedule of payments.
• Performs other duties as assigned or required
• High school diploma or equivalent required; advanced educational training in the field of accounting and/or finance is preferred.
• Basic computer knowledge required, in particular data entry experience on main frame systems. Previous experience with MUNIS software preferred.
• Basic knowledge of accounting principles required; experience in municipal accounting is preferred
• Knowledge of data entry terminals, computers, adding machines/calculators and copy machines
• Ability to establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with other employees and the public; must have strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion when applying and interpreting departmental policies and procedures; Possesses the ability to accept responsibility and work efficiently without constant supervision
This is an office-based job in a dynamic municipal building. While performing the duties of the Senior Account Clerk, the incumbent is required to: interact and communicate frequently with the public, government officials, other staff members and boards, and/or third parties transacting business with the City.
Operates standard office equipment including computers and keyboards, at efficient speed; and move throughout the municipal building which may include flights of stairs. Lifts/moves objects weighing up to 10-20 pounds.