Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
The City of Pittsfield is seeking a qualified and distinguished individual to fill the position of City Solicitor, who shall bring a healthy diversity of legal expertise, perspective, and opinion as the City’s legal counsel. In accordance with the provisions outlined in City Code, Chapter 2, Article III, and under the general direction of the Mayor, the Solicitor prosecutes and defends all actions involving the City's interests and shall advise the Mayor, public officials, public school system, boards, departments, and agencies. The incumbent shall draft and/or approve legal documents, and represent the City before legislature. The Solicitor aids in the development and implementation of City policies, programs, plans, and procedures, and performs other duties as required by the Mayor or as dictated by job responsibilities.
The successful candidate will have outstanding interpersonal skills, be confident in their decision-making abilities, and overall demonstrate a solid command for the practice of municipal law.
• Responsible for all legal affairs involving the City of Pittsfield; responsible for the administration of the City's law department functions as dictated by City Code, Massachusetts General Law, and Federal law.
• Makes frequent contact with other City departments, City Councilors, public officials, other attorneys and their clients, and has occasional contact with the general public; furnishes legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, City Departments, School Department, boards, committees, etc.
• Represents the City, its boards, agencies, departments, and officials in the prosecution of all actions and other legal proceedings and suits on its or their behalf.
• Represents the City's interests in any matter before the Federal, Superior, Appeals, and Supreme Judicial courts, all administrative agencies of the Commonwealth and the District Court in which the interest and welfare of the City and it's officials and employees may be directly or indirectly affected.
• Attends and provides legal advice at all meetings of the City Council and meetings of other City boards and commissions as required/requested.
• Communicates with attorneys representing private and public interest, judges, court personnel, etc.
• Researches and renders opinions as to various legal issues which impact the City and its various boards, commissions and agencies; responsible for the preparation, filing, and provision of pleadings, discovery documents, briefs, etc. for court and administrative proceedings, as well as contracts, leases, conveyances, ordinances, deeds, and other legal documents/instruments as needed and/or requested.
• Performs administrative tasks related to preparation of annual department budget and report; participates in department/staff meetings.
• Prepares and approves proposed ordinances for final adoption.
• Performs other related duties as necessary to accomplish job objective in an effective manner.
• Education: must have graduated with a 4-year degree and Juris Doctor from an accredited institution
• Experience: must possess 5 years or more of experience in the practice of law, with previous experience in municipal law preferred.
• Special requirements: licensed attorney admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, as well as in Federal Courts.
• Must possess extensive knowledge of municipal law, previous professional experience in the following areas: Civil Trial and Appellate practice, administrative, environmental, zoning and land use, public sector, worker's compensation, civil service law areas.
• Ability to organize, interpret and apply legal principles, knowledge, and judgment to complex legal problems.
• Ability to meet and effectively deal with persons interested or involved in suits against the City; ability to deal effectively and in a collaborative manner with elected officials and other City employees.
• Ability to plan and supervise the work of other professional staff in Law Department.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; must be able to readily comprehend business objectives; clearly and concisely articulate legal implications, alternatives, and ramifications.
• Must be a strong advocate on behalf of City objectives and positions; highly skilled negotiator; discerns and clarifies essential issues.
Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:00PM
(Some evening hours may periodically be required to attend various City meetings.)
Deadline to apply: Friday, January 18, 2019 @ 4:00PM
For full job description and/or to apply, please visit our careers page,