Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
High School or Equivalent
The City of Pittsfield seeks to fill the position of Principle Clerk within the Pittsfield Fire Department's Inspections Office. The Principle Clerk performs all administrative duties for Fire Inspections Office which involves the performance of various clerical work, requiring typing skills and computer literacy with Microsoft Office programs and other software required to perform said duties.
Incumbent generally performs these duties independently and must possess be capable of dealing effectively and efficiently with the public, including answering the telephone and assisting those who visit the Inspections office.
1. Answers telephones, assists public and other City employees with questions, takes messages for Fire Inspectors, transfers calls to appropriate parties if needed; emergency calls are transferred to the dispatchers.
2. Maintains fire inspections permitting system and related activities, including but not limited to: Fire Protection Systems, Oil Burners, Demolitions, and any other City/State required permit.
3. Responsible for collection of fees for permits and cash balancing procedures.
4. Issues certificates of compliance; Coordinates appointments for inspectors to visit sites.
5. Assist during annual fire prevention activities.
6. Performs all other duties as required or assigned.
1. High School diploma or equivalent
2. Minimum of 1-3 year’s related experience
3. Thorough knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, strong skill set in using Microsoft Office programs, general ability to operate a computer and other related office equipment.
4. Requires skill in prioritizing customer needs that require attention.
5. Ability to multi-task and prioritize, working under minimal supervision.
6. Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with other employees and members of the public.