Company Description: The Becket-Chimney Corners YMCA is an independent YMCA located on 1500 acres in the beautiful Berkshires of Western MA close to nationally renowned cultural and historic attractions such as Jacob’s Pillow and Tanglewood. Chimney Corners Camp, Camp Becket and the Travel and Service Program, Becket Day Camp and the Berkshire Outdoor Center are the five primary program focuses for the Becket-Chimney Corners YMCA.
Camp Becket for boys and Chimney Corners Camp for girls are traditional resident camps with rich traditions and commitment to character development. Program offerings are in aquatics, athletics, theater, dance, creative arts, horseback riding, service learning, adventure trips, team building and high ropes. Our Travel & Service Programs offer a unique life experience to teens and our Berkshire Outdoor Center offers a wide-range of year-round programs for individuals, families and groups.
We are conveniently located off Route 8 past Jacobs Pillow; 15 minutes from center of Lee.
$11.00 Per Hour
Some High School Coursework
Up to One Year
Combining incredible adventure leadership programs with environmental education and fantastic recreational activities, Becket-Chimney Corners YMCA is home to the largest and most comprehensive educational challenge course in the northeastern United States, with over 50 low and high ropes elements across all of their courses. This is your chance to work with some top-notch outdoor educators!
The Program Instructor (PI) is responsible for leading activities in the fields of outdoor education, leadership development, team-building and adventure recreation. PIs are responsible for leading large group activities, evening programs and supervised check-in, check-out, arrival and departure procedures. Additionally, PIs perform routine cleaning and dish duties. Occasionally, PIs are responsible for overnight supervision of guests and/or as hosts of groups.
We are now hiring for our fall seasons. Multi-season employment is available!
For more information and a detailed job description, visit bccymca.org/instructor or review the detailed job description below:
• Teach outdoor education and environmental education to youth and adults.
• Teach leadership skills, service-learning skills and adventure recreation skills to youth and adults.
• Supervise indoor and outdoor activities safely.
• Cleaning – including sweeping, mopping, trash removal and dishes. Other cleaning as assigned.
• Act as the on-call host of specified groups.
• Provide occasional after-hours supervision.
• Function as an effective team member; be flexible with schedule changes and customer needs
• Assist in training other staff in areas of expertise
• Participate in trainings, meetings and other professional development opportunities
• Be alert to new program opportunities & be responsive to evaluations, participate in curriculum review & development
Effect on end Results:
• Each group visiting BOC will experience consistent and high quality customer service.
• All programs administered by BOC will be conducted in a fun, safe and age appropriate manner.
• Staff morale and retention will be consistently high.
• Weekly group evaluations will meet defined expectations
The Program Instructor must:
• Have a commitment to the mission and vision of BCCYMCA and the goals of Berkshire Outdoor Center.
• Have the capability to teach outdoor education and leadership to a diverse audience from a range of group types.
• Have the ability to supervise children of varying ages, abilities and backgrounds safely.
• Have the desire to perform routine cleaning and dish duty enthusiastically, safely, quickly and effectively.
• Have the ability to respond quickly and effectively to all emergencies.
Additional (Preferred) Qualifications:
• Experience working with children in an outdoor education setting
• Team-building & Challenge Course experience, including belay experience.
• Environmental education teaching experience – including science & ecology teaching experience
• Waterfront, boating, canoeing, kayaking instructional experience
• Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid
• Winter sports experience - Cross-Country Skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating
• Knowledge of local ecosystems.