Company Description: The mission of the North Adams Public Schools is to provide all students with the values, knowledge, and skills needed to reach their full potential, with the ultimate goal of becoming lifelong learners and productive members of the 21st Century.
As a district, we are committed to providing a safe environment in which all individuals embrace the core values of diversity, inclusiveness, shared community responsibility, breadth of learning, and continuous growth and improvement.
JV Girls' & Boys' Soccer Coach (1 each)
NFHS/MIAA certified, Sports first aid certification - Preference: Required
Job Goal: To help each participating student-athlete achieve a high level of skill, an appreciation for the values of discipline, sportsmanship and academic integrity, and an increased level of self-esteem.
Supervision: Reports to the Athletic Director, Building Principal, and Superintendent
1. Coach individual participants in the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
2. Plans, schedules and implements a regular, objective-based program of practice in season.
3. Works closely with the Athletic Director in scheduling intramural and interscholastic contests.
4. Recommends purchase of equipment, supplies, and uniforms, as appropriate.
5. Maintains necessary attendance forms, insurance/injury records, concussion data and similar paperwork.
6. Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or area in which assigned sport is conducted at all times that students are present.
7. Establishes performance criteria for eligibility in interscholastic competition in the coach’s sport.
8. Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establishes and oversees penalties for breach of such standards by individual students.
9. Support students academically.
10. Maintains suitable sideline behavior.
11. Completes all necessary Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) and National Federation of High School (NFHS) certification classes, including the yearly NFHS Concussion Course.
12. Abides by all rules dictated in MIAA Handbook.
13. Maintains pertinent coaching certifications.
14. Communicates effectively with players and parents.
15. Any other duties as may be assigned by Administration.
Special Knowledge/Abilities: The occupant must possess good communication skills. The occupant is expected to be an excellent role model for sportsmanship. The occupant is expected to attempt establish a clear connection and line of communication with the youth leagues and elementary schools to encourage participation in the sport at the younger grade levels. Support of the student-athletes at a young age is required to build a coordinated program with the youth leagues that will encourage the development of these healthy skills and habits that will increase participation at all levels.
The Committee's policy of nondiscrimination will extend to students, staff, the general public, and individuals with whom it does business; No person shall be excluded from or discriminated against in admission to a public school of any town or in obtaining the advantages, privileges, and courses of study of such public school on account of age, race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or homelessness.
Required: At least two years of prior work experience as a Coach in the sport involved. Must be NFHS/MIAA certified by 2nd year of coaching and an approved Sports First Aid course (NFHS, American Red Cross or American Heart Assoc.) must be completed and passed prior to coaching a third year.
Preferred: Five plus years of prior work experience as a Coach in the sport involved.
Physical Requirements: The position requires a frequent amount of walking, running, standing, sitting and climbing stairs and step stool whenever necessary. Activities also include frequent physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending, twisting, grasping, pushing, and pulling of objects. The position requires lifting objects of 40 pounds on a frequent basis, and over 40 pounds occasionally.
Environmental Conditions: The occupant is required to work indoors and outdoors. Extreme temperature and weather conditions may be encountered. The regular chemical solvents are toners and cleaning fluids. The use of athletic equipment is also required.