Responds to fire, rescue and emergency medical calls pursuant to protocols developed by the fire chief. Performs fire prevention functions including inspections, pre-fire planning, and data collection. Carries out emergency medical protocols for the care of sick and injured, maintains fire department equipment and returns equipment to an in service condition each run. Works under the direction of the Fire Chief and performs scheduled cleaning and maintenance work at the Fire Station and grounds.
Works under the supervision of the Fire Chief and performs varied duties requiring self initiative within the parameters of established protocols
MAJOR DUTIES (essential job functions)
1. Responds to emergency requests for fire and medical services with the appropriate vehicle and equipment to protect life and property, including out- of-town calls pursuant to mutual aid agreements (e.g. emergency medical calls, fires, hazardous materials incidents, automobile accidents).
2. Performs fire prevention functions as directed by Fire Chief including, but not limited to, fire inspections, pre-fire planning, data collection, education, and drills.
3. Performs routine maintenance on fire/ambulance apparatus, including minormechanical and cleaning work, keeping written maintenance log current.
4. Maintains equipment and supplies as directed by the Fire Chief.
5. Maintains response log for Fire Department.
6. Performs Fire Station housel duties including, but not limited to, cleaning of offices, storage, public and related work areas (e.g. sweep, mop, dust, wax, shampoo, polish, etc. Clean interior/exterior windows).
7. Maintains outside grounds and building exterior (e.g. mow/clip grass, sweep/shovel walkways and building entrances, etc.) as directed.
8. Performs routine grounds and building maintenance as assigned.
Jobs are performed in a variety of work environments ranging from an office setting to fire ground operations where exposure to severe weather conditions is possible. Operates office equipment. Drives an ambulance and fire trucks. Utilizes medical equipment and fire fighting equipment. Makes frequent contact with the general public, sometimes in high stress situations. Has access to confidential medical records of patients served.
Preferred Candidate:- Will be Massachusetts Fire Academy Trained. Call/Vol or FullTime- 3 yrs experience with a fire department with EMS
Inquire within: Dalton Fire District20 Flansburg Ave. Dalton, Ma. 01226
Send Resumes to: Above Address - Attention Chief Gerald Cahalan.
Applications accepted until : March 3,2018
Minimum Requirements: - EMT Basic (Massachusetts/National)- Massachusetts Driver’s License. - Trained to the FF 2 level.- 2 yrs minimum on a fire department- Lives within 15 Miles (Preferred) of the Town of Dalton –Within 6 Months (Non –civil service)- Able to pass a medical physical for Firefighting consistent with Massachusetts Fire Academy Standards.- Pass a Drug Screening.
Will pass a Physical Aptitude Test. The test will be pre-employment and will be conducted at a facility with a trained Physical Fitness instructor.
Employee will pass a Firefighter Medical Physical. Individuals with such a physical examination occurring within one year of interview will be exempt.
While minimal physical effort is required to perform the duties under a typical office setting, moderate to heavy physical effort may be required during periodic field work. Occasionally required to lift objects weighing 125 pounds. During Fireground operations must be able to don fire turnout gear, Self Contained breathing apparatus. Must be able to drag heavy hoselines, operate off ladders and ropes, and be able to crawl into fire hazard situations.