Company Description: TOURISTS is a new 48-room hotel opening summer 2018 in North Adams, MA, a resurgent town in the Berkshires and a trailhead for New England’s history, art, food, music and exploration. TOURISTS brings the East Coast debut of chef Cortney Burns, formerly of San Francisco’s Bar Tartine, with a new restaurant called Loom, a nod to the many 19th century-era textile mills in the surrounding region.
TOURISTS’ name is drawn from the history of the Mohawk Trail, America’s first scenic byway and the road on which the hotel now sits. When the route first opened in 1914, local restaurants, shops, attractions and inns along the road promoted themselves to travelers by hanging a sign bearing the single word “TOURISTS.”
Barista | Front Desk Agent Hybrid
Hotel & Restaurant
Some High School Coursework
Allergens - Preference: Preferred
Tips - Preference: Nice to have
The Barista will be expected to exceed the expectations of all guests employees in a multitude of tasks that include, but are not limited to: Front Desk and F&B tasks; consistently be personable and exhibit a positive, friendly demeanor and attitude; observe and be able to recall small details; operate all coffee and espresso machines; be comfortable handling and serving food and alcohol; ability to prioritize tasks and remain organized in stressful environments; support multiple departments as needed; complete training materials in a timely manner; create and maintain positive, professional relationships with coworkers and guests; be reliable and responsible; demonstrated ability and comfort in multitasking, organization, and prioritization; all tasks assigned by any and all members of management.
The Barista must comply with the property’s dress code, possess good communication skills and a thorough understanding of Tourists policies, and have the ability to resolve conflict. All TOURISTS employees, even those that are not exposed to guests on a day-to-day basis, are expected to greet all guests in close proximity and make each feel important by providing a genuine welcome. Furthermore, Baristas must develop and maintain the company’s culture, values and reputation in the public eye, and with all staff, guests, vendors and partners. Baristas must promote the TOURISTS mission in all actions and decisions and are accountable to the overall team.
Based upon fluctuating demands of the operation and to exceed customer expectations, it may be necessary to perform a multitude of different functions not specifically related to this position. This person may be expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed. Furthermore, employee responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
1. Ability to multi-task; successfully and fluidly switch between different departments,
2. Ability to remain organized and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks,
3. Preferred candidate will have knowledge of TIPS and Allergens trainings
4. Must be able to handle stress and remain calm in high-demand environments
5. Be comfortable with basic inventory requirements
6. Comfort with pouring various types of beverage including coffee, espresso, wine, and beer,
7. Ability to keep all common areas safe, clean, and aesthetically pleasing,
8. Keeps all working areas clean and organized (includes daily set up and break down of serving areas, and continuous monitoring while in use)
9. Adhere to all standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, training material, memos and verbal instruction
10. Maintain a high level of personal hygiene and adhere to dress code policies
11. Remain up-to-date with new training and procedures
12. Openly and continuously communicate across departments to ensure all guests needs and requests are delivered to TOURISTS standards
13. Make every effort to conserve resources to reduce spending and be environmentally conscious.
14. Remain up-to-date with new training and procedures
15. Keep lines of communication open and available with guests and ensure prompt follow up until the guest is completely satisfied
16. To the best of your ability, answer all guest queries and make all requested arrangements (such as making reservations at local restaurants, organizing pick up/drop off at serviced airports, etc)
17. Familiarizing yourself with the local area and services to better suggest them to guests
18. Perform guest check-outs, check-ins, concierge questions, etc
19. Assist with luggage handling and room service requests as needed
20. Assist with special events and preparation
21. Ensure open lines of communication with all departments and management at all times via email, log books, meetings, etc., to ensure all needs of the hotel are met
22. Maintain a high level of cleanliness and safety in the work area
23. Attend relevant meetings
24. Ability to work and maintain a high level of professionalism and service
25. Guest billing Maintain correct guest billing from check in to check out
26. Maintain a high level of discretion when dealing with guest information
27. Follow inventory standards and procedures to consistently conduct an accurate inventory
28. Maintain record keeping, checklists, and hotel information
29. Maintain superior standards of quality control
30. Keep abreast of safety and emergency procedures and OSHA requirements
Reports Directly to: Front Office Manager
Also works for: General Manager, F&B Manager
Work Related Experience
Two (2) years related experience in hospitality or service industry.
High School diploma or general education degree (GED). College Degree preferred.
Certificates, licenses, and/or identification cards as required by the U.S. Department of Justice to verify employment eligibility.
Knowledge and/or certification of TIPS preferred
Knowledge and/or certification of Allergens
Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues. Ensure all security policies and procedures are observed in areas such as computer security, keys, locks, inventory, and property and employee information.
1. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
2. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
3. Ability to speak effectively before groups of co-workers and sister property staff
4. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
5. Ability to understand other computer programs (i.e. Property Management System, POS)
6. Ability to apply concepts of math including: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and algebra, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
1. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
2. The person in this position may have to lift up to 50 pounds on a daily basis
3. The person having this position may have to sit for eight (8) hours, stand and/or walk, push, kneel, bend, balance, squat, reach and stretch for two (2) hours per day
4. The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.