Company Description: General Dynamics Mission Systems offers a powerful and robust portfolio of products, services and solutions that help customers successfully execute their missions in today’s dynamic environment. With unsurpassed engineering using an open systems approach, General Dynamics Mission Systems solves our customers’ most complex challenges while foreseeing future needs.
At GDMS, our employees work in collaborative teams with leading edge technology and the best in the industry to solve tough customer problems while keeping our nation safe. Individuals are empowered to do their best work in an environment that encourages and supports innovative, collaborative and creative thinking. The General Dynamics ethos of honesty, transparency, trust and is apparent in the way we work with our colleagues and our customers.
Learn more about life in the Berkshires by viewing this video.
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.
Additional Business Name: General Dynamics Mission Systems
Strategic Systems Programs knowledge - Preference: Preferred
Management experience - Preference: Preferred
Ability to gather and analyze data to support efforts to reduce cost, improve efficiencies and improve operator performance - Preference: Preferred
Experience with electrical testing/troubleshooting of complex assemblies - Preference:
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Manufacturing Project/PCE Lead-Shipboard Electronic Repair Facility. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
Manufacturing Project/PCE Lead-Shipboard Electronic Repair Facility will be the primary point of contact for Strategic Systems Programs (SSP) repairs, specifically SP22 Launcher Branch, SP23 Fire Control Branch, SP24 Navigation Branch, Program Management, Manufacturing and Engineering.
The Manufacturing Project/PCE Lead-Shipboard Electronic Repair Facility position should have experience with manufacturing project leadership, planning and process control.
• Technical capabilities, like the ability to read drawings are also necessary
• Knowledge of the MRP systems and material procurement.
• A working knowledge of Microsoft Office specifically Excel is required.
• Promote a team environment that makes it easier to meet all of the teams goals (i.e. repair turn-around time and quality)
• Primary point of contact for all SSP technical issue and questions for the project
• Support development of a lean manufacturing environment.
• Drive operational improvement mindset into the repair process.
The Manufacturing Project/PCE Lead-Shipboard Electronic Repair Facility candidate will oversee/develop, implement and maintain the methods, operation sequences and processes used in General Dynamics Mission Systems repair. The selected candidate will provide guidance to fellow engineers, helping them to improve manufacturing processes and reduce Repair Turn-Around Time.
• Successful execution of repairs to meet the needs of the SP22, SP23, and SP24 customers
• Assuring that the product repaired/produced by the SERF is of the highest quality
• Meeting all contract incentive goals
• Provide leadership and technical oversight to a team of Process Control Engineers (PCE's)
• Customer satisfaction
Execution tasks include:
• Coordination the test equipment, personnel and material needed to repair equipment.
• Financial tracking and reporting to Program Management
• Should have considerable knowledge of disciplines that are frequently required to interact with (e.g. Program Management, Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality)
• Generating reports necessary to meet contract and customer requirements.
• Interacting with customers as necessary to support program reviews, tours, etc.
• Report status on a regular basis to all stakeholders which includes quality, cost and deliveries on all contract.
• Support proposals as necessary
• Strategic Systems Programs knowledge is preferred
• Management experience is preferred
• Ability to gather and analyze data to support efforts to reduce cost, improve efficiencies and improve operator performance
• Experience with electrical testing/troubleshooting of complex assemblies
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
• Develops, implements and maintains methods, operation sequence and processes in the manufacture or fabrication of parts, components, sub-assemblies and final assemblies
• Estimates manufacturing cost, determines time standards and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new or existing product lines
• Maintains records and reporting systems for coordination of manufacturing operations
• Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards
• Implements and analyzes manufacturing engineering plans and projects
• Develops manufacturing engineering plans and strategies for specific products and processes
• Supports the generation of technical engineering products by using the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle
• Plans sub tasks for activities described above
• Contact with multiple work groups
• Works under general supervision, received instruction from immediate supervisor
• Contact with project leaders and other professionals within the Manufacturing department
• May have some contact outside Manufacturing or with external customers
• Travel may be required
• Failure to accomplish results or errors may cause delays or require the allocation of additional resources
• Installs manufacturing process systems and conducts production qualification, forecasts and manages manufacturing process capital assets
• Develops, designs, procures, and constructs manufacturing process hardware, fixturing tools, software, and work environment
• Using lean concepts acts as a project engineer to implement cost reduction efforts
• Leads quality initiatives using six sigma methodology to determine extent of non-conformance root cause, and corrective action
• Documents procedures, process qualifications, work instructions, shop aids, routings, etc.
• Provides process analysis to support new business (NPI) opportunity assessment and quoting
• Defines and documents equipment calibration requirements
• Identifies training for production related activities
• Monitors and controls of process parameters, and identification of special processes and need for SPC
• Provides solutions to vendor issues as required
• Monitors competitive bench marks to ensure that current processes and equipment are competitive and cost effective
• Forecasts and manages manufacturing process capital implementation
• Develops floor layouts
• Assists product engineer with design to cost
• This is the intermediate level in a field of specialization
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Considerable professional expertise, applies company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues
• Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors
• Exercises considerable judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
• Builds productive internal/external working relationships
• Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills
• Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new projects or assignments
• May provide work direction to other employees
• Lacks authority to discipline or reward
• Considerable knowledge with technical standards, manufacturing engineering concepts, principles, and theories
• Considerable understanding of lean techniques and statistical analysis
• Keeps abreast of technology trends
• Aware of business objective and Engineering role in achieving
• Considerable knowledge with manufacturing processes and electrical/mechanical components, systems and applications
• Considerable proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
• Considerable written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to think creatively
• Ability to multi-task
• Skilled in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
• Considerable ability to clearly recognize and report information relevant to sound manufacturing engineering design