Company Description: Berkshire County Head Start is a non-profit organization that provides early childhood education and care. Our organization offers a half-day pre-school program in 7 sites throughout Berkshire County. In North Adams, Pittsfield and Great Barrington we also provide full-day child care services for families while they work, go to school, or look for employment.
Berkshire County Head Start (BCHS) is launching a search for a confident and proven leader to join a dedicated Board, Policy Council and a highly experienced staff as the organization’s next Executive Director. The ED is responsible for the local planning, implementation, evaluation, and achievement of the Federal Head Start Performance Standards 2017, Head Start Act 2007, and to that end works in association with the Policy Council and Board of Directors to oversee the financial, organizational, programmatic, and human resources of Berkshire County Head Start program. The ED serves as the connecting link between the Head Start governing bodies, staff, parents, community agencies, State and the Department of Children and Families (DCF). Minimum requirements BA and experience in supervision of staff, fiscal management, and administration. A Masters with a background in Early Education and Administration is Preferred.
BCHS has identified the following organizational priorities to guide our next Executive Director:
• The ED will play a visible leadership role, and be a collaborative partner, as we work with our families and communities to achieve our shared vision for the future.
• Ensure we are actively engaging and empowering families to achieve their goals.
• Build and foster relationships to leverage resources and expand services.
• Join with the Board, Policy Council and staff to proactively pursue our strategic priorities.
• Advance our message and communicate strategies that help the community, funders, and key stakeholders to appreciate the full breadth of our offerings and the impact of our work.
• Continue work underway to ensure that essential physical, technological, and human resources are in place to support the achievement of our ambitious goals.
• Partner with the Board to advance efforts to appropriately and meaningfully engage volunteers in our work and to further strengthen governance practices.
To lead BCHS requires a comprehensive set of skills and abilities. We expect that the successful candidate will bring the following to BCHS:
• Passion for BCHS’s mission and for the children, families, and communities we serve.
• Prior experience in a leadership role with a large and/or complex organization.
• A confident and optimistic leader who is skilled in organizational and financial analysis and in implementing strategies to ensure program and finance alignment.
• Grant development and writing.
• A skilled and compassionate communicator and relationship-builder who can demonstrate the ability to successfully engage with our families, staff, and the community.
• A record of success in building teams and helping employees develop, advance and succeed.
• Readiness to advocate at the state and federal levels on behalf of BCHS and to play a leadership role in meeting and advancing our financial goals.
• The highest level of recommendations from references, collaborative partners, and peers.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes four weeks’ vacation, sick, health, dental, short-term disability and life insurance. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors and Policy Council. The successful candidate can expect a formal review after 90 days as well as an annual review. To apply interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to Berkshire County Head Start at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter and résumé should contain detailed information concerning work experience, past successes, leadership experience and qualifications. Please be prepared to provide contact information for professional references upon request. Paper copies may be sent to Sue Doucette, Berkshire County Head Start, 1 Meadow Lane, Pittsfield, MA 01201, but electronic submission of materials is preferred. No phone inquiries, please. Review of applications will begin in mid-June and all applications should be submitted no later than June 22, 2018.
Berkshire County Head Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA