Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Water Machinery Repairperson
Some High School Coursework
The City of Pittsfield’s Department of Public Utilities, Wastewater Division, is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Water Machinery Repair Person. The Water Machinery Repair Person installs, maintains, and repairs equipment used in the distribution, collection, and treatment of potable and non-potable water and sewage. The ideal candidate has a high school diploma and at least two years of related experience that includes knowledge of and familiarity with small hand and power tools and familiarity with the basics of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic control systems. A valid Massachusetts driver's license and the physical dexterity and stamina to get the job done are required. Valid Grade 1 Massachusetts Drinking Water Operator’s License is a plus.
• Installs, maintains, and repairs machinery and equipment such as pumps, motors, generators, valves, chlorinators, engines, gates, process piping, etc., as may be required or related to the distribution, collection, handling, or treatment of potable or non-potable water and sewage
• Performs periodic preventive maintenance and emergency troubleshooting and repairs and maintains potable pumps and conveyors, booster pumps, filter bed equipment, and related machinery and equipment
• Performs minor or incidental repairs on motorized equipment and vehicles used in support of the operation of the water treatment and/or distribution or sewage collection and treatment systems
• May perform pipefitting, welding, or other skilled duties as may be required to accomplish required repairs
• Performs landscape maintenance and incidental building and structural maintenance as directed
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Candidate must be eighteen years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent
• Two years of experience in the maintenance of mechanical equipment and systems involving pumps, motors, engines, valves, plumbing, collector mechanisms, etc.
• Physical ability and agility sufficient to operate valves and equipment, climb tanks, enter vaults and underground tanks through small access manways, work outside in all weather conditions, lift up to 50lbs. from ground to shoulder height, open manhole covers, etc.
• Knowledge of and familiarity with the capabilities and use of small hand and power tools
• Familiarity with the basics of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic control systems
• Valid Massachusetts driver’s license
• Valid Grade 1 Massachusetts Drinking Water Operator’s License must be obtained within two years of appointment
• Ability to deal effectively and interact with people on an up-beat and friendly basis, regardless of circumstances