Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Highway Maintenance Craftsperson II
The City of Pittsfield's Department of Public Services, Highway Division, is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Highway Maintenance Craftsperson II. The Craftsperson performs skilled labor duties in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, highways, bridges, and related traffic control systems. Other responsibilities may include incidental facility maintenance and general public works related duties.
• Performs labor duties in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, highways, bridges, and related traffic control systems, including incidental facility maintenance & general public works related duties
• Performs maintenance duties operating heavy dump trucks, backhoes, loaders, specialized road construction & maintenance equipment, stripers & mowers and other grounds or tree maintenance equipment
• Performs daily servicing & maintenance on equipment assigned, including incidental related welding
• Performs incidental building maintenance work on functionally related buildings and structures, including painting, carpentry, plumbing, and masonry repairs and operates hand and power tools in the performance of the tasks assigned
• Works with contractors during construction or excavation on streets, bridges, sidewalks, driveways etc.
• Works with & directs employees of lesser skill levels in maintenance of streets & highways and related buildings & structures
• Works with contractors in the marking out and/or location of utilities and appurtenant devices and structures during construction or excavation on streets, bridges, culverts, sidewalks, driveways, etc.; Checks highway-related contractor work for satisfactory completion and compliance with permits
• Safely operate vehicles assigned. Walk routes as required
• Performs other duties as required or assigned
• Incumbent shall be required to work at any time during the 24hour day to respond to weather related or emergency needs.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Two years of acceptable experience operating heavy equipment such as trucks, snowplows, loader/backhoes, bulldozers, loaders or other hydraulic equipment of a type to be used in the performance of tasks assigned
• Two years acceptable experience as a construction journeyman or equivalent in street construction or general contracting industry.
• Strong working knowledge of construction methods, techniques, equipment, materials and safety practices used in a Public Services Department
• Demonstrated ability to read and use drawings and maps
• Ability to climb ladders and enter manholes, access ways & underground vaults, walk long distances over uneven terrain, lift 50 lbs from ground to chest height in a standing position, and work outdoors during all seasons
• As a minimum, shall hold a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brake and tanker endorsements and Hoisting Licenses Class 1C (telescoping booms without cables), Class 2A (excavator, backhoe and front-end loader), Class 4E (catch basin cleaner) and Class 4G (specialty lawn mower); all licenses suitable for use in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
• Ability to interact with people on an up-beat and friendly basis, regardless of circumstances