Company Description: The City of Pittsfield is the cultural, commercial, legal, and medical center of the Berkshires – a region renowned for its wonderful people, outstanding standard of living, beautiful landscapes, and the finest in cultural and recreational attractions.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a multicultural work force, excellence in public service, and on-going mutual respect in our working relationships. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for any job, please visit our careers page:
Local Building Inspector
The City of Pittsfield's Department of Inspections is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Local Building Inspector. Under the supervision of the Building Commissioner, the candidate’s responsibilities will include reviewing building permit applications, drawings and specifications and issuing building permits. The Building Inspector will perform required inspections and annual inspections as per 780 CMR, issues certificates of occupancy and certificates of inspection, investigates building code and zoning violations as well as complaints from city officials and citizens of the City of Pittsfield and implements the necessary actions to correct the violation. The candidate will also examine and/or approve plans and specifications for new buildings and structures, and also for repairs and alterations to existing buildings and structures. The Inspector assists the Building Commissioner in the performance of his duties. Together, they enforce the provisions of the State Building Code and any other applicable statutes, rules, regulations, ordinances and/or bylaws.
• Performs inspections of buildings and structures under construction, as well as existing buildings and structures
• Examines and/or approves plans and specifications for new buildings and structures, and for repairs and alterations of existing buildings and structures
• Issues permits, and maintains records of permits granted and inspections made
• Writes and maintains reports, as needed, including monthly summaries and an annual report
• Investigates building code and zoning violations, as well as complaints from city officials and citizens of Pittsfield, and takes the necessary actions to correct the violation
• Performs field visits which may be subject to outside weather conditions while conducting inspections along with occasional walking, standing and climbing.
• Candidate will be expected to respond to emergency calls after hours, as needed
• Performs other duties as assigned
• High school diploma or equivalent
• At least five (5) years’ experience in the supervision of building construction or design. Associate’s degree in a related field may be constituted as an equivalent
• Certification by the Board of Building Regulations and Standards in accordance with the provisions of 780 CMR R7
• Massachusetts Class D driver’s license
• General knowledge of requirements for building construction, fire prevention, lighting, and ventilation; as well as all equipment and materials essential for safety
• Ability to interact with people on an up-beat and friendly basis, regardless of circumstances
35 Hours per week
(Candidate may be asked to respond to emergency calls after hours, as needed)
Annual Salary Range: $43,578 - $53,881
Applications accepted until position is filled.
To apply, please visit our careers page,